What is “Faith-based Professional Development”?
Great question.
Here is a true story that helps illustrate what we do.
Recently we were hired to conduct a dozen Enneagram typing
interviews and lead a three-hour follow-up workshop with our S.A.L.T. leadership
team.
You never know when the healing power of the Holy Spirit
will show up – it’s best to be prepared –but not always possible. It always feels like a privilege to me.
My final interview was with a new employee who self
identified as an Enneagram Type 1, The Reformer, The Perfectionist. After I asked a question about security, I
noticed redness around her eyes. I asked
her if she needed a moment. She
gratefully agreed.
During the interview she confided in me that she, Jennifer,
(not her real name) had recently come from a high energy, highly structured,
fast paced, policy and procedure-filled, corporate environment. She had been at her new position for 3 months. It was a newly created position with no
formal procedures or policies, no rules or guidelines. The job description was very broad. The performance expectations are very high
(though obviously not higher than her own).
Her immediate supervisor is a very charming, highly intelligent Type
7.
As a Type 7, limits and structure are not a priority for her
boss. The lack of structure and
benchmarks, for a project whose deadline was 5 months away was enough to freeze
Jennifer in a self-critical holding pattern.
Her anxiety at having a blank canvas with no guideline but expectations
for greatness brought her to our interview ready for a good cry.
Earlier in the day I had interviewed and helped several more
experienced women employees identify their Enneagram types. Many were Type 1s. I suggested to Jennifer that we find, within
the office, a mentor of the same personality type who might be able to provide
some support and suggestions.
Thank you Jesus. The person
I had in mind was not available.
However, in the office across the hall another mentor was ready,
willing, and as a Type 1, more than able to assist us. I explained the situation, that, they were
both Type 1s, and that Jennifer was at her wits end.
The miracle began. It
was as if I had been a mediocre language translator who had understood only some
of what Jennifer was saying. Then it was as if I had brought in someone from
her home country who not only spoke her language, but her dialect, and was from
her own home town! The transformation
was astounding. They were so caught up
in the conversation that I suggested I leave so they could speak their language
without worrying about me not understanding the nuances. Thankfully they
allowed me to stay. Jennifer was starved
for empathetic understanding and redemption.
Our mentor did not disappoint.
She was so encouraging and so empathetic and had stories of
times when she was younger and frustrated and felt alone, as if she was the
only one who had this inner critic the size of Rhode Island. She spoke lovingly of her own mentors and how
they had helped her get through some very difficult times. She told of all of the policy and procedure
manuals she had written “because somebody needed to” and . . . all of Jennifer’s
shame and anxiety, about being found out to be “worthless” because she wasn’t
getting it right, because she was stuck. . . went away.
Jesus took it. With
the love and support of a blessed mother mentor, he took away her sin. He took
away her anger at herself for not being good enough. He took away her self-judgment. He returned to her, her whole heart. The
transformation was astounding. Her eyes cleared and actually shined with her
enthusiasm. Her confidence
returned. I didn’t recognize her as the
same woman who had come into the interview, broken and hopeless, alone and sick
about her job performance.
Go and sin no more.
Your Faith has made you whole. No
more shall you not ask for
help. No more will you rely only on your
understanding. No more will you be
alone. “For I am with you always.”
As I watched them interact, it was like a loving big sister
geek, explaining to her sad little sister, “Don’t worry little one. There are more policy and procedure manuals
to write. You are not a freak. It’s just what we do. This is how we
operate. No one notices the huge
self-critical lobe on our brains but us.” A Type 1 empathizing with another
Type 1. They spoke the same
language. They knew the landmarks and
the territory. They were from the same
planet. They got each other. One was helping the other. The other was helping the 1.
9 Two
people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. 10 If one person
falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real
trouble.
In closing I asked who wants to pray. Our new mentor was happy to pray for us.
Her prayer was so encouraging and supportive, full of grace
and empathy. It had a ring of hope in
it. It was a blessing for all of us to
be in His presence and experience the healing power of love and support.
I hope that illustrates the transformational power of “Faith-based
professional development.
No comments:
Post a Comment